Friday, August 17, 2012

The Problem with Roos

Hans (behind) & Duke (Bantam wanna-be-head in charge)
They are gorgeous.  Their feathers shine and reflect light in a mirade of colors and shades.  Their impressive combs and waddles only add to their exotic appearance.  They dance. They try to seduce pretending they've found food or to show that they really have found food. The problem is though they can be rough with the girls. A nuisance.  Persistant.  To the point that the girls didn't want to come down off their roost today.  We went down to get them out of the coop about mid to late morning...but they were still reluctant.  Forgo-ing food and water. It can be tricky navigating Rooster behavior. 

A hard decision was made to get rid of Hans.  My Partridge Rock Cockerel  (young male).  I even looked at making him a Capon.  (which is to say neutering him)  but this requires internal removal of some organs and a week of antiobiotics.  More effort than what its worth.
Hans has never liked being picked up and it's about impossible to catch him outside of the coop.  He's fairly aggressive with the females now, and nobody is really attached to him in the family due to his general lack of affection towards us or tolerance of us.

Hans.  Persistant Partridge Rock. 


Last evening the Girls took to the roof for
safety while Hans trolled for them.  Ugh.
Go Roost Hans!

I thought about asking my father-in-law to do this for us and he could have Hans as meat in the freezer. But then I'm pretty sure he would rather go spend $5 at the grocery store and avoid the effort. Sooo, it's up to me to do the work here.  It won't be easy.  I look at him as a wayward child almost. But I need to do it for the rest of the flock's harmony.  Sunday morning I'll set the alarm clock and get to business with my errant Yard Bird.  Roger will be back in Charge again.  He'll be so Happy. 


Roger, Gorgeous and Loving, New Hampshire Red.


No comments:

Post a Comment