Thursday, September 13, 2012

Foster Easter Eggers

It's official.  I'm a foster chicken Mom.  To 3 beautiful Easter Egger chicks.  They are about 3 1/2 months old I believe.  I am helping out my work place which is a summer camp for kids.  They teach a little about permaculture and there's nothing I want more than for the kids to see these blue or green eggs next summer.  And for these beautiful hens to have a nice place to spend the "off-season"  Here are my Foster chooks.

This is Marigold.  We'll call her Mary for short.


This black and white one is Fleur.  Her markings are so neat. 

And this orangish/reddish one we are calling Iris.

So all three have beautiful plumage.  We just love them.  They are a bit on the skiddish side but I think my crew is accepting them and it's just a matter of them becoming more brave.  They ate with everybody earlier today, finally without much problem.  They are smaller yet than everybody else.  Easier to pick on.  I built a small caged in area within the coop so they can escape away if it was too much.  But the first night they wanted to roost up high with everybody else...so we let them.  The next morning Roger must have got a hold of Marigold (I saw a pile of feathers)  and I found them all in the coop at noon on the roost.  They are survivors, though.  They've survived predator attacks in which 5 other brooder mates did not.  They lived with 4 "spent hens" who were set in their ways and not very accepting of them.  They can go all day without food and water and wait until everybody else is on the roost and then go eat and drink.  My new little survivors.  Tonight we drug them up the hill into the gardens with the others.  They remained in their tight little group however. 


Duke, my submissive Roo, is loving them...obviously.  He cracks us up.  What do you suppose he's thinking?  "New Meat."  Haha.


He's always an opportunist.  But my new Foster Survivor Girls know all to well  about aggressive behavior.  Rosey seemed to hang out with them the most up on the hill.  She got her pecks in to show them that she at least out ranks them.  Or maybe she's just giving them a little direction too. I don't know for sure.  But we are so excited to share our coop with you Marigold, Iris and Fleur.


      Rosey sharing the last of the Evening's Scratch with the new girls.

We look forward to the fun adventures they will add to our flock, green & blue eggs, and will Duke finally get a Harem to call his own?  Tune in next time.  
                                        





No comments:

Post a Comment